Monday, June 28, 2004

And there you have it.

James Lileks had an encounter with door-to-door Kerry supporters. The conversation turns to Kerry repealing Bush's tax cuts. Mr. Lileks explains that his tax cut built the new front steps to the house the young Kerry supporter is standing on. It allowed some masons to get a job. He has new steps. Everyone wins... or so you would think. Her response speaks volumes:

"Well, it's a philosophical difference," she sniffed. She had pegged me as a form of life last seen clilcking the leash off a dog at Abu Ghraib. "I think the money should have gone straight to those people instead of trickling down" Those last two words were said with an edge.

"But then I wouldn't have hired them," I said. "I wouldn't have new steps. And they wouldn't have done anything to get the money."

"Well, what did you do?", she snapped.

"What do you mean?"

"Why should the government have given you the money in the first place?"

"They didn't give it to me. They just took less of my money."

That was the last straw. Now she was angry. And the truth came out:

"Well, why is it your money? I think it should be their money."

And there it is... the young Kerry volunteer was so young and naive that the truth just slipped out.

Out of the mouths of babes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home