Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Going Wobbly

Go read this. H/T Instapundit. Here's a sample:

There are an awful lot of people who have fallen back into that 9/10 mindset. I can't really blame them. I'd rather be there myself. I'm well aware that I'm lucky to have experienced the bit of history that I did, that we lived in an amazing time there for a little while between the end of the Cold War and September 11, 2001, when the threat of large-scale nuclear disaster had lifted and a body could feel 100% safe from the terrors of war simply by the grace of being on American soil. That's the feeling I want to have again, dammit. That's a feeling I want my daughter to someday know.

The problem at the moment seems to be that it is such an attractive feeling that folks are going right on ahead with it now, at a time when it is unfounded and therefore dangerous. Unfortunately, this danger is multiplied many-fold by the fact that the natural allies of those who do not believe that there is a continuing threat are those who believe that there is, but that it can only be mitigated through self-flagellation--by changing who we are as a people--which is the very thing that we are fighting to prevent. The first attitude is regrettable. The second is not only dangerous, but nauseating in its failure to recognize its own irony: it would, if successful, eliminate its own right to exist. If you walk down that path far enough, you find a Dark Age.

I don't, as I've said, believe that we'll get to that point, but the natural alliance between those who see no danger and those who misidentify it is something I find worrisome. It has seemed lately that what used to be a mere fringe on the left has become more of a decorative border, and soon I fear that it it will become most of the garment. A year ago, the friend I mentioned above thought that same-sex marriage would be a very good thing, and that the War was also a very good thing, that such things went hand in hand as freedom and freedom secured. Eight months ago, she decided that same-sex marriage was more important than the War, and changed her party affiliation. Now she is convinced that George W. Bush is a greater threat to freedom than the folks who are intent on killing us.


Well, if we get complacent now, there's a good chance that there's going to be hell to pay. Now, scoot... go read the whole thing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home